Mayer Brown LLP is a leading global law firm with offices in 26 key business centers across the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. We are a collegial, collaborative and diverse firm where highly motivated individuals with an unwavering commitment to excellence receive the opportunity, support and development they need to grow, thrive and realize their greatest potential.
If you enjoy working with team members whose defining characteristics are achievement, initiative, professionalism, responsiveness and adaptability, you may be the person we are seeking to join our Finance Operations department, in Chicago, as a Billing Analyst.
The Billing Analyst represents the Finance Operations Department and works as a key member of the team, providing full-service support to attorneys on all billing related functions. The Billing Analyst will edit, prepare, and process attorney's invoices accurately and in a timely manner, while partnering with the billing attorney to fully understand the details of his/her billing practices and client guidelines. The Analyst will conduct any necessary research to resolve billing issues and ensure compliance with client guidelines and agreements.
• Generate and distribute prebills, assist with month end processing, draft correspondence, perform time and expense transfers and edits, generate reports, prepare invoices, manage timeliness of billing, allocate unapplied funds, perform write-offs, cancellations, and post and mail bills
• Ensure accuracy of work product, determine appropriate bill formats, meet ethical standards, recommend process improvement, prepare spreadsheets or supplemental billing documents, manage client billing requirements, understand fee arrangements, prepare bills for electronic processing, troubleshoot issues, coordinate necessary matter changes, and other billing related projects as necessary
• Responsible for high level of accuracy and completeness of bill preparation, ensure that bills are in agreement with client billing arrangements and system records
• May also be required to perform duties related to eBilling submission, utilizing electronic billing knowledge to ensure that clients receive electronic invoices in an accurate and timely manner
• Assist with Support boxes and overflow as needed
• Act as a backup to team members and be proactive in assisting others to ensure deadlines are met timely
• Continually offer suggestions for improvements in Billing related processes
• Overtime may be required during peak periods
• Bachelor's degree preferred. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered when the degree is directly related to the functions of the job
• 1-4 years previous billing experience or comparable experience required
• Must be technically proficient. Aderant Expert Billing System is a plus
• MS Word, Excel, and 10-key calculator proficiency required
• Excellent math aptitude and understanding of general accounting principles
• Highly professional approach to responding to requests and demonstrated ability to provide quality customer service to attorneys
• Excellent attention to detail, developed organizational skill, and excellent follow up skills
• Strong writing, speaking, and customer service skills are needed
• Strong use of judgment and interpersonal skills
• Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills
• Proven ability to prioritize responsibilities and juggle multiple tasks
• Demonstrated self-starter with the desire to show ownership and commitment to the job
• Ability to act in an advisory capacity to attorneys on all billing related matters
• Must have a can-do attitude and willingness to work harmoniously and effectively independently as a team member
• Light lifting; up to 30 lbs.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits, including medical/dental/vision/life/and AD&D insurance, 401(k) savings plan, back-up childcare and eldercare, generous paid time off (PTO), as well as opportunities for professional development and growth. EOE m/f/d/v/so